Sunday, February 19, 2006

Hi Everyone! I'm sitting in a little pizza/coffee/internet cafe in Cairns right outside my hostel. I wish I could writ hours and hours to each of you because I have so much to say but unfortunantly only 30 minutes online. I'll finally get to my apartment in Sydney tomorrow evening so you can expect more regular updates in the coming week. Thanks to Mom for keeping everyone updated. Reading y'alls comments made me smile and laugh outloud. I lvoe you all.

The flight over wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I was able to sleep and it went by so quickly. The people here are soooo friendly, sarcastic, funny, and laid back. Everything is very green.

Some quick highlights taken from my journal:

-Serious, old-looking man in Houston airport wearing yellow SpongeBob cap and old man in Dallas airport train wearing purple velven top hat.
-after each meal on the plane the flight attendants walk down the aisles saying "cup 'o tea?" (Amy, it was straight out of My Fair Lady!) You put your little mug on this little paddle, they pour it and then you lift it back off. The flight attendant seemed plesently surprised that a young American wanted some hot tea.
-Customs lady says, "Ohhhhh, you're a Texas girl!"
-Everything is on the left, not just driving. I have to remember to walk down the sidewalk and the staircases on the left also.
-Two hour boat ride to the reef was fun. Scuba diving was awesome, just the experience of it. The guys were so nice and hilarious. I was scared and had to force myself to do it but I am so glad that I did. Everyone should try it at least once.
-Millions of non-poisonous jelly-fish around the boat. They were clear with 4 little purple cirlcles on their backs- very beautiful actually.
-Aussies love opposites and sarcasm and one of my leaders said that she doesn't know a single redhead here who hasn't been nicknamed "Blue-y." Something to look forward to I guess...
-Food here is good, but I didn't know they ate so much curry. I thought it was only India, but curry is a huge Aussie food.
-Today I threw a boomerang. I was going to throw a spear too but ran out of time. (We visited an Aboriganee cultural center.
-Also, I fed and cuddled with kangaroos and held a little koala bear! The zoos here are gorgeous- so green and lush! And they are more like adult petting zoos.
-I didn't know it was going to be so hot here. It is extremely hot and we are constantly sweaty.
-Tomorrow I get to Sydney and I am so excited! Pray about who my roommates will be- there are so many kids here just to party. I've met one girl, Erika, who I love and we have a lot in common. We will at least be in the same complex so that's good.

That's it for now. I will be more detailed in my emails and phone calls with each of you once I get a little more settled. I'm off now to go and relax by the city "Lagoon". There is no beach here by the dock so the city built a public pool/fountain/park/picnic spot - very cute. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

I can't finish my first post without saying thanks to Mom and Daddy for letting me have this experience and for seeing that it will be good for me, not just fun. And to Dad Ford for his work ethic and for valuing his children's and grandchildren's education. If there is one person I know who has had an easy and blessed life and does not deserve this beautiful adventure, it is me. May God give me the grace to use this time for His glory.

Love to you all,
Mich

Comments:
Michelle... I cannot get over how freakin AWESOME it is that you're IN AUSTRALIA!!!!! God bless you, girl! I SO wanna go there... o wellz, we'll see what life has in store for me later. I knew you were having loads of fun. =) And I'm super glad the flight was actually nice and not miserable! It's good to hear from you and I'm proud to be the first reader of the day, haha. Take care! Hope you get an awesome roommie!
 
michelle my love i'm so happy you finally posted! it sounds so wonderful there, maybe i should consider studying in brisbane after all. so where is erika from? america? did you get all your itunes organized? i've already wanted to call you because i already have new amusing drama to tell you, but i'm holding off until you're more settled. i should write you an e-mail now that i think about it. anyways, how are the accents? do they make you smile? anyways yes good luck with the roommate situation and have fun and i miss you already!
 
i just realized you said a pizza/coffee place and that makes me smile, because we always said pizza and coffee don't go together even though you always want late nite pie with kaveh kanes... lol
 
from one redhead to another... HEY!!!! i miss you, i saw your family today and you weren't there:(((( whoa, you're in australia, yay! kiss a koala for me and don't forget to take a picture of an australian accent for amy!
hannah k
 
i officially love austrailian people, I probably love them for their humour and wit. "blue-y" thats absolutely brilliant! Well my lovely friend have a nice time!

Dudley of Spring
 
Michelle, so glad to hear you are having a good time. Can't wait to see pictures. Hope you had a cup of tea for me on the flight!! Take care.
 
hey...it's so funny that you are doing your usual coffee shop scene but in a completely different setting. i'm so glad you've gotten away, but i miss knowing that you're only 3 hours away. love you!
 
Bluey was also the name of a short-run cop show on Aussie TV in the 70s....it was later re-cut into a pretty funny farce...and of course, the main character was a redhead.

Glad you've been having fun. Keep posting!
 
Michelle - do they make shopping carts that do not pull to the right or left? It's great to know that this is a universal problem. Wish I had been there for the "fix up the new apt." shopping spree! Sounds like you went to all the right stores. Rabbit on the porch? - that's a lot better than Dwight's racoons on our porch! love you, iris
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?