Tuesday, February 21, 2006
I have an address in Australia!
Thanks to all of you for your comments.
I'm now officially unpacked and it feels wonderful. Today I spent lots of money setting up my little room and stocking my fridge with pasta, bread, turkey, frozen veggies and fresh fruit, english muffins (I don't think they have bagels here) and cream cheese. I adore my little house and room- so new and roomy. Much more like an apartment or house than a dorm. My roommates are really great as well. Two of them are a little older than me and two are just my age. They are all girls I met briefly in Cairns and are sensible and very nice. Erika lives just up the street. I will post pictures as soon as I can get my laptop online somewhere. Right now I'm in the library.
The Village (where I live) is across the street from the university, which is very hilly, green, and beautiful. Ducks roam across the streets and there are tons of trees and little lakes. The buildings look old, but are spaced out nicely.
I went to the mall today which is on the other side of campus. It is HUGE but very convenient. I got some stuff at Target, Bed Bath and Table, and Woolsworth ("Woolies" or "The Big W" as everyone here calls it.) I nearly ran over 50 people today. It's so hard to remember to walk down the aisles on the left, that the up escalator in on the left, to walk down the sidewalk on the left, etc. You can always tell if the person walking towards you is Aussie or American by which side he is walking on. The students are allowed to take shopping carts to the Village so Erika and I loaded our purchases into one and hauled everything home. Unfortunantly the afternoons here are very hot, we had to climb three large hills, and the cart had a severe tendency towards the right. We thought we were going to die on that last hill. We were so glad to get home. I will be walking a TON while I am here which I'm actually happy about. The weather will be getting cooler (60 is the lowest I hear) and the campus is very pretty. Lots of pick-up rugby and frisbee going on today even though school hasn't started.
Tomorrow is orientation all day and classes don't start till Monday. We're hoping to go into the city and to the beach on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Figuring out the bus system should be interesting.
It's funny to hear commercials and announcements because at first you think it's a recorded voice and then you remember that everyone here talks like that. It still takes me by surprise.
Other highlights include: the free kettle and tea that came with our house, a rabbit on our porch this afternoon, and finding a wireless coffee shop in the mall.
A few more notes:
Lauren W- I have not tracked down my cell phone but hopefully will have it by this weekend.
Alex and Krista- Sorry the updates are so few and far between. Things are busy and it's been inconvenient (and expensive up till now) to get online. My roommates are hoping to install wireless into our house this week.
Bailey- Thanks for all your comments, girl! I just love hearing from you. Let me know how volleyball is going. Do you think you will play again in August when I'm home?
Granddaddy- I found the first Australian Starbucks in the mall near my campus today. I am proud to say that I am refraining from coffee because I want to save money to travel. (we'll see how long this lasts...)
Walt- Radio Music Theater when I get home.
Faith- if you run into loads of money then you should come stay with me. There's plenty of space in my room for an air mattress. =)
Lauren L- You were meant to be Australian, my darling. You just belong here. I think you should "swing by" on your way to Italy.
I will write more to the rest of you later. The librarian is pushing me out the door and my cute American accent isn't getting me any leeway. You are all fast asleep right now and I am off to COOK some dinner. Sleep well everyone!
Mich
I'm now officially unpacked and it feels wonderful. Today I spent lots of money setting up my little room and stocking my fridge with pasta, bread, turkey, frozen veggies and fresh fruit, english muffins (I don't think they have bagels here) and cream cheese. I adore my little house and room- so new and roomy. Much more like an apartment or house than a dorm. My roommates are really great as well. Two of them are a little older than me and two are just my age. They are all girls I met briefly in Cairns and are sensible and very nice. Erika lives just up the street. I will post pictures as soon as I can get my laptop online somewhere. Right now I'm in the library.
The Village (where I live) is across the street from the university, which is very hilly, green, and beautiful. Ducks roam across the streets and there are tons of trees and little lakes. The buildings look old, but are spaced out nicely.
I went to the mall today which is on the other side of campus. It is HUGE but very convenient. I got some stuff at Target, Bed Bath and Table, and Woolsworth ("Woolies" or "The Big W" as everyone here calls it.) I nearly ran over 50 people today. It's so hard to remember to walk down the aisles on the left, that the up escalator in on the left, to walk down the sidewalk on the left, etc. You can always tell if the person walking towards you is Aussie or American by which side he is walking on. The students are allowed to take shopping carts to the Village so Erika and I loaded our purchases into one and hauled everything home. Unfortunantly the afternoons here are very hot, we had to climb three large hills, and the cart had a severe tendency towards the right. We thought we were going to die on that last hill. We were so glad to get home. I will be walking a TON while I am here which I'm actually happy about. The weather will be getting cooler (60 is the lowest I hear) and the campus is very pretty. Lots of pick-up rugby and frisbee going on today even though school hasn't started.
Tomorrow is orientation all day and classes don't start till Monday. We're hoping to go into the city and to the beach on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Figuring out the bus system should be interesting.
It's funny to hear commercials and announcements because at first you think it's a recorded voice and then you remember that everyone here talks like that. It still takes me by surprise.
Other highlights include: the free kettle and tea that came with our house, a rabbit on our porch this afternoon, and finding a wireless coffee shop in the mall.
A few more notes:
Lauren W- I have not tracked down my cell phone but hopefully will have it by this weekend.
Alex and Krista- Sorry the updates are so few and far between. Things are busy and it's been inconvenient (and expensive up till now) to get online. My roommates are hoping to install wireless into our house this week.
Bailey- Thanks for all your comments, girl! I just love hearing from you. Let me know how volleyball is going. Do you think you will play again in August when I'm home?
Granddaddy- I found the first Australian Starbucks in the mall near my campus today. I am proud to say that I am refraining from coffee because I want to save money to travel. (we'll see how long this lasts...)
Walt- Radio Music Theater when I get home.
Faith- if you run into loads of money then you should come stay with me. There's plenty of space in my room for an air mattress. =)
Lauren L- You were meant to be Australian, my darling. You just belong here. I think you should "swing by" on your way to Italy.
I will write more to the rest of you later. The librarian is pushing me out the door and my cute American accent isn't getting me any leeway. You are all fast asleep right now and I am off to COOK some dinner. Sleep well everyone!
Mich
Comments:
<< Home
I can't wait to see pictures :) My favorite things of this post are Bed Beth and Table, the ducks, and the fact that you have a girl friend! Talk to you soon I hope!
I'm so glad you got all settled in and unpacked. I love walking everywhere around campus, too, but then again, we don't have any hills. I hope the beach thing works out!
Yay! I'm so glad you have a blog! I haven't read anything yet, but I will at the moment of my first free second today. :) I'm thinking about you, K.S.! :)
I was just thinking that if Michelle got her scuba cert, then Dad should get one, too. That way, when we take scuba vacations, we can each have a buddy and Mom can enjoy some quiet reading time at the hotel or on the boat.
Sounds like you encountered some of the joys of traveling right from the get-go - late baggage, etc. Glad to hear you're doing well and enjoying the experience. Thanks for the interesting updates on all your adventures. Take care!
Post a Comment
<< Home

