Thursday, February 23, 2006
some pictures! (in no good order)

Cairns from the boat.

A snapshot of my campus- Macquarie University. (Pronounced Ma-cwar-ee)

A crocodile show at the Zoo. The mane never fed him this chicken because he said that it would be enough food for a week.

Me with a camera-shy kangaroo at the Cairns Tropical Zoo.

I can't believe I forgot to put this under Highlights on my last post. In Cairns the Aboriganees told us about these white ants that hold some sort of citrus acid in their rears. And if you touch it to your tongue it tastes like lemon-lime. So, I am happy to say that one of the things I have done while I am here is licked an ant's butt.
First glimpse of Australia after a 14 hour plane ride.
A white kangaroo at the zoo. I think they were ugly and very sickly looking. Not nearly as happy as the brown ones.

Aboriganees doing traditional song and dance. The paint on their bodies represent different elements of the earth like wind, fire, air, dirt, etc.

It's ridiculous how much these things weigh. But everyone should try scuba diving at least once.

Erika and me on the boat ride home from the Reef.

Everyone was very hot at the zoo on Sunday.
Awwww...Don't worry, mom, I wasn't sunburned, it was just extremely hot that afternoon. The sun in Cairns is much more harsh than in Sydney. I wear gobs of sunscreen everyday and I haven't gotten burned yet but the freckles are so dark on my face now that I hardly recognize myself.

My bathroom and closet on right with a huge closet of double door mirrors on the right.

My little house! My room is in the upstair in the back right corner. The downstairs right window is the kitchen and the patio opens into the dining room. We have another patio and sliding door downstairs on the other side of the house that opens into the den.

My little room.
Yesterday was orientation. I think I have most of my classes nailed down and I might have an interview with Shell next week about an internship. I also got my student ID card, my health care card, and my cell phone is being mailed to me. Tomorrow I'm going into the city with some friends (my first bout with public transportation!) and the next day the university is bus-ing us all out for an orientation party at Manly Beach, one of the biggest and most popular beaches in Sydney.
Did you know that if you're an Australian and you don't vote in an election you get fined $55?
Cosette- I haven't heard that phrase over here. But they do say "how you going?", "no wah-ees" (worries) and "g'day" ALL the time. And everyone here uses nicknames (or terms of endearment, I guess) even with strangers or in a professional setting. Everyone is "dah-ling" or "mate". Overall, I think it's a much more friendly and laid-back society.
This post has taken forever and I really need to do laundry. Hopefully you like the pictures and they come through. Sleep well , everyone!
Mich
Comments:
<< Home
I changed my mind. Instead of bringing me home an australian accent, can I have a baby koala? That's such a cute picture! Are they heavy? Did you touch its nose? I've always wondered what their noses felt like.
i want to go there just so that i can hug that koala? was is sooo soft and cuddly? you are so lucky, anne girl!
Amy- no i didn't touch his nose. =( but it didn't look like a wet nose, it looked like a dry nose. And he wasn't heavy at all, he was very light. When the keeper held him she just lifted her arm up and he hung onto it like her arm was a little bitty tree. it was so funny!
Diana- it WAS so soft and cudley! There were so many too. Each one gets to be held by people only 30 minutes every other day. That's how many they had! But I think they liked being held- they went so happily from one pair of arms to another.
Diana- it WAS so soft and cudley! There were so many too. Each one gets to be held by people only 30 minutes every other day. That's how many they had! But I think they liked being held- they went so happily from one pair of arms to another.
Hi Michelle! We are reading your blog from Bible Study. Mr and Mrs. Stubbs say hi, so do me, Casey and Jeremy =) We miss you and hope you are having fun!! dont be tooooooo sexy!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home

