Monday, March 06, 2006
Internship!
I got the internship at Starlight Foundation. I'm very excited that I will be working with only Australians 2-3 full days a week. I guess most internships get really old after a while, but I think it's going to be challenging too, especially if they really let me get involved in the writing and interviewing. I start this Wednesday.
It's a beautiful but hot day here. Everyone is laying outside in the common areas reading for class, listening to music, and planning trips.
This morning I had my first little culture frustration (not so much "shock"). My housemates decided we should all go in on a coffee maker and I volunteered to go to the mall to get one since I don't have class Monday. Target had about 20 kettles and no coffee maker, so I went to the Big W (the equivalent of WalMart.) I kid you not, they had THREE ROWS of kettles- plastic, stainless steel, cordless, kettles that cost 15$, and ones that cost 50$. And only one measly little coffee pot in the back, for 45$!! I kept looking and got unusually frustrated as I realized that this was probably the only coffee pot in this huge mall. But then I recognized my frustration as some kind of culture shock and that made me happy because it reminded me that I'm in Australia! =)
I forgot to say in my last post that at nighttime the Opera House looks pretend. There's no other way to describe it.
It's a beautiful but hot day here. Everyone is laying outside in the common areas reading for class, listening to music, and planning trips.
This morning I had my first little culture frustration (not so much "shock"). My housemates decided we should all go in on a coffee maker and I volunteered to go to the mall to get one since I don't have class Monday. Target had about 20 kettles and no coffee maker, so I went to the Big W (the equivalent of WalMart.) I kid you not, they had THREE ROWS of kettles- plastic, stainless steel, cordless, kettles that cost 15$, and ones that cost 50$. And only one measly little coffee pot in the back, for 45$!! I kept looking and got unusually frustrated as I realized that this was probably the only coffee pot in this huge mall. But then I recognized my frustration as some kind of culture shock and that made me happy because it reminded me that I'm in Australia! =)
I forgot to say in my last post that at nighttime the Opera House looks pretend. There's no other way to describe it.
Comments:
<< Home
Hey Michelle,
Walt finally got your site to me. Its nice to hear what you're up to.
Congrats on the internship!
John Mc
Walt finally got your site to me. Its nice to hear what you're up to.
Congrats on the internship!
John Mc
Michelle, congrats on your internship!
I was about to make a LONG post, but then I realized it's not like anyone else would care to read it, and this is your blog, not mine, so I'm going to email you. =) I hope I have the right email address!
I was about to make a LONG post, but then I realized it's not like anyone else would care to read it, and this is your blog, not mine, so I'm going to email you. =) I hope I have the right email address!
Michelle!
I am so jealous of you being in Australia... Someday I'll get to go, too. And congrats on getting that internship - it sounds like fun!
Keep in touch...
xoxo
Bethany
I am so jealous of you being in Australia... Someday I'll get to go, too. And congrats on getting that internship - it sounds like fun!
Keep in touch...
xoxo
Bethany
walterdf00 (10:12:40 PM): just if you wanted to see what she was up to down under
Baylor Bloke (10:12:43 PM): sure
walterdf00 (10:12:52 PM): lisamichelle2006.blogspot.com
Baylor Bloke (10:13:32 PM): starlight foundations pretty cool
Baylor Bloke (10:13:34 PM): very well known
walterdf00 (10:13:43 PM): really?
Baylor Bloke (10:13:47 PM): yup
walterdf00 (10:13:51 PM): she's really excited about it
Baylor Bloke (10:14:00 PM): awww...thats good mate
walterdf00 (10:14:10 PM): you should post a comment on there...she'd be excited to hear from you
Baylor Bloke (10:12:43 PM): sure
walterdf00 (10:12:52 PM): lisamichelle2006.blogspot.com
Baylor Bloke (10:13:32 PM): starlight foundations pretty cool
Baylor Bloke (10:13:34 PM): very well known
walterdf00 (10:13:43 PM): really?
Baylor Bloke (10:13:47 PM): yup
walterdf00 (10:13:51 PM): she's really excited about it
Baylor Bloke (10:14:00 PM): awww...thats good mate
walterdf00 (10:14:10 PM): you should post a comment on there...she'd be excited to hear from you
congratulations, doll, you're a stud! By the way, I went to ruf tonight and was really enjoying it and then I realized I missed your call and I got really sad. But you should call me sometime after Friday - I'll be hanging out in NC and I won't have 3 tests! I hope you love your work. Did you get the coffee pot?
i changed my mind about not calling till after friday. anytime after my 12:30 here should be ok, until like 6:30 would be swell, but you might be working.
hey you...that's so awesome that you got the intern. just wondering how your first day went...or you second...or i guess you could have had three days by now.
Post a Comment
<< Home

