Monday, March 20, 2006

My weekend and my favorite new appliance

Hi everyone!

So many great things to write about. I'm just sitting downstairs with my roomies. Catie, Kristen, and Teya are sitting on the couch watching some TV and Teya's mixing brownie batter. She and I just got back from pilates with Erika. Amy, Krista, Trisha, Erika and Jenna are coming over to watch TV as well, so I won't be getting homework done till later. That's OK because Tuesday is my sleep-in day...8 AM!!

Here's another loooooong newsy update that will probably only interest familial folks.

My weekend with no plans was surprisingly fun and busy. Friday I went to the city with my camera, map, books, journal, and iPod. I took the train into Kings Cross and walked over to Potts Point, a beautiful little old neighborhood of trees, sidewalk cafes and expensive lofts that I will never be able to afford because everything I love in life isn't associated with money. I walked all the way down to Circular Queue following only my little map (thanks Lauren W!) and hung out by the opera house and bridge. Highlights include reading and eating fruit on the harbour lawn, seeing a Navy ship flying the American flag, and having coffee at the teeny tiny 10-tabled cafe Amy found online! (Thanks, Ames!)

Friday night I went to the Hanna's house for dinner. They have 2 daughters (a freshman and senior in high school) who were supposed to go to their regular youth group meeting and come late for dessert. So, I was surprised to see them when I walked in and even more surprised when Sharon said the reason they stayed was because they thought it would be more exciting to meet an American. (I hope I wasn't a disappointment.) How fun to walk into a house and see a dad grilling and a Benny-sized dog running around. We had steak, chicken kebabs, salad and a traditional Aussie cake (that I forgot the name of). It was wonderful to be in a home with a family.

Saturday afternoon Catie and I decided to go into Manly Beach. Unfortunantly it was extremely cloudy and cool so we ended up just shopping, eating fish/calamari and chips, and walking around the weekend craft market. Catie's boyfriend, Andrew, is living with his Aussie aunt and uncle in Manly this year, so we called him and hung out with all of his Aussie cousins Saturday night. Andrew's aunt and uncle invited us to spend the night so I crashed on an air mattress at their house Saturday night. I love Manly- all the neighborhoods are built on a huge green hill overlooking the bay where there are constantly lots of boats.

We visited the wharf again Sunday morning when it was beautiful and sunny and then I took the bus home. I was excited to go to church Sunday night- I was going to check out the chapel on campus because the Hannas had heard good things about it. Unfortunantly I am an idiot and couldn't find it. I know I've walked by it before and thought I knew where it was, but I do not and it is not on any of the campus maps. I ended up doing a loooong walk around the campus, ending up at Woolies, and doing some grocery shopping where one of the MOST exciting part of my weekend occured.

I bought a French press and it is the most adorable appliance I will ever own in my whole life. I will keep it forever, never succomb to owning a coffee maker- it is the favorite thing I've bought here so far. I will be posting a picture soon. =)

A few more random bits of info:
-I love the $2 coin. I think America should have a $2 gold coin the size of a dime. Really.
-Last night there was a huge hurricane in Cairns and Queensland- lots of flooding and damage!
-Everyone here is getting sick. I was so pleased that I'm at work more than I'm around the Village lately and that none of my rommates have come down with anything yet. But then Dan showed up this morning with tons of congestion. I'm eating my chewable Vitamin C tablets like candy. I will not be sick in Australia.
-When I am a millionaire I will buy a flat in Manly and live there with 3 other gals. And then I will move all of you to Manly and we can all live there together.
-I love public transportation most of the time. Now that I know "bus etiquette" and know all the numbers, stops and routes, it's so easy. I don't like that it takes me an hour to get to work, but it's fun to listen to music, read, and not have to drive in traffic. The only bad thing so far is when you have to wait awhile for a bus because there always seems to be a cute cafe on the corner serving chai tea. But I have great self-control. =)

While I haven't missed driving, I miss listening to music in my car so I've started carrying my iPod with me. I have discovered that I am one of those people you see standing on the train platform or riding the bus who's smiling and "subtly" dancing to herself. Yeah. I'm that girl.

Seriously, riding on a train into Sydney listening to "This is your Life" by Switchfoot is as close as you'll ever get to having a soundtrack for your life. =) (Thanks Walt!)

Friday: Manly with Teya?
Saturday-Sunday: Blue Mountains with some roomies
Next Thursday: Melbourne with Erika and Sam
Next next Friday: Autumn break!
Lots of homework and long internship days in between.

Thanks to everyone for keeping in touch. I love hearing comments from you all. More pics coming soon.
Cheers!!
Mich

Comments:
Hey, cool. You're the second person in a week in my blog-circle who's mentioned getting a press pot (which is what we Francophobes call it). The key to happy usage is good grinding. Check out coffeegeek dot com for more info on that, they have some cool tutorials on getting the most out of your new friend.

Speaking of new friends, have you made contact with my friend Beck in Melbourne? Hope you get a chance to meet her when y'all are down there.
 
I'm in Conroe tonight with Gran-o and Granddaddy and we are reading the new blog entry. This was his first day off and he worked so hard outside that Gran-o had to warn him to not do it all the first day. We had dinner (Mex food) with the Arnolds. More later, MOM
 
michelllllle! i enjoy getting your comments on facebook. they make me smile. i wish i knew your cell number or your email... you should let me know them. unless your cell is the same as it is in the states... i don't know. i miss you much. i'm glad that you are having a kickbutt time. tell australia hi for me-- love you.
-sara
 
i was just wondering...who's mike?
 
Hi, I find myself every evening checking your blog. I love reading about your life in Australia. I think rather than blogging during a lecture you should start your Novel. You are ea great writer. It is down right cold in Lufkin tonight. We went to Benjammins Takewondo graduation tonight. He received his yellow belt. This is his third belt to test for. He like this and the structure is good for him. morgan is excited because a fried from her class gets to come to our house with them Fri. from school. Katie will spend the night at our home with her and Benjammin. Love you and keep on having the time of your life. Aunt Vicky
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?