Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Story of a Girl...

Hello! This will be another long post. Please expect shorter and more frequent updates in the future. Feel free to skim or skip altogether.

The Story of a Jeans & T-Shirt Kind of Gal
On Thursday I woke up early, excited about my interview at Starlight. I remembered to check the weather online and when I saw that a few showers were predicted, it occured to me that I hadn't bought an umbrella yet. Also, the only purse I brought was a teeny black one and my bright orange cotton one- neither very appropriate for an interview. I had plenty of time to walk to the mall, buy a purse and umbrella, and catch the bus there. I hardly recognized myself in my black business skirt, white button-down shirt, black heels, and diamond stud earrings. I put all my purse stuff in a big plastic bag, exchanged my heels for my brown flip-flops, and treked across campus and through the mall in with a plastic bag in one hand and my high heels in the other. A little frazzled and nervous, I was probably a somewhat disheveled sight, with "I'd rather be wearing jeans" written all over me. I found a tiny 5$AU umbrella and a purse big enough to hold my umbrella and my flip-flops. (I bought a bright red purse because it made me feel a little more like myself.) =)

(Afternote: I think the interview went really well and it sounds like it would give me the perfect taste of what I'd like to do when I graduate- putting together special events and working with the media to get coverage for a nonprofit organization raising money for kids with cancer. I should hear from them tomorrow. It would be a 20 hr/wk job for school credit.)

They don't confiscate your shoes in Tasmania
On Friday night Catie (house-mate) and I went with two Aussie Navigator girls to meet up with some of their friends. It was fun and refreshing to hang out with just Aussies, for the first time really. At one point in the conversation Catie said something along the lines of, "you could tell us anything and we'd believe you." From that point on, the guys would not-so-slyly slip bits of crazy information into the conversation. For example, Tasmania confiscates your shoes when you arrive to keep soil from being transported from the mainland. (Or you can rent shoe lockers in the airport.) Or, that the town called Fishwick is really "fish week," a week-long celebration of fish with lots of games and fish markets. Their "information" was always so absurd that the boys would start giggling even before they said it.

They ID for coffee here?
Sydney is really great about checking your ID or signature whenever you use your credit card. They do it everywhere, even for very small purchases. When ordering coffee today (paying in cash), the barista said "may I have your ID for your order?" I gave her a puzzled but trusting look and reached for my license before I realized that she just wanted my name. As I paused, looking for my license, she looked equally puzzled (as though I needed to remind myself of my name?)

My mobiiiile cellular phone
This evening I went to church with an Aussie family (the Hannahs) of Houston friends (the Comers). I had emailed them my new cell phone number earlier in the week and on the way home from church, Mr. Hannah said they would contact me on my cell phone (with pointed empasis on the word "cell"). The other three Aussies in the car began to laugh quite hysterically and I looked blank until they explained that that's not the word they use. I said, "Oh, you say 'mobile phone?'" at which they began laughing even harder. Then one of the girls said, "mobiiile phone" with a long i sound. Maybe you had to be there, but it was so interesting to me that they thought the word "cell" was so funny.


(Afternote: I liked the church. The Hannahs go to the evening service for their teenage daughters- it's a little contemporary, much like Metro used to be. The teaching was clear and very basic, but right on theologically. I'm going to go with the Navigators next week, but I'd be interested in checking out a morning service and some Bible studies at this church.)

Other little notes...
- They have so many of the same TV shows here- Australia's Biggest Loser, CSI, and their own Wheel of Fortune (with their own Australian Vana White in high heels and fancy dresses). I turned on the TV during lunch and a John Wayne movie was on. I went to the next channel and Tom Hanks was there. Still looking for something purely Aussie I went to the next channel and the Muppets were on.

-During our semester break there is some sort of fair at Sydney Olympic Park every year. From how it was described to me, it sounds like a miniature rodeo! Perhaps more like the livestock show, but still, I'm excited.

-At the mall I ran into a girl I (kind of) knew at ASU freshman year and who is friends with some of my old friends there. We haven't seen each other in 3 years, but we lived in the same dorm freshman year and now we're both here studying. How crazy is that?

-During the greeting time at church, the minister says, "Everyone turn around and say g'day to a mate."

-On Friday I went to Bondi Beach (big and touristy, but beautiful) and had "fish and chips" in a nice cafe. One of my favorite things about restaraunts here is that when you order a soft drink, it may come in an old glass bottle. And if you ask for water, they will bring out tiny little glasses for everyone with no ice and an old wine-bottle-shaped bottle of water for you to pour.

-I don't know if any of the slang or accent is going to stick with me, but I do find myself saying "lovely" more; and no one says "school" or "college," only "uni." Also, "how you going?" instead of "what's up?" And I think that my R's are getting even more lazy. (uh-oh.)

-On Friday night Catie and I hooked up with the Navigator people for dinner and gelato at the mall. When sport came up (it does in every Aussie conversation) I said that I expected to be deported at any moment when Australia realizes that I don't play any sport. They sweetly said that was fine as long as I liked to watch sport. I was proud to say "yes" until they asked me what my favorite was and I said "American baseball." =)

-I couldn't stop smiling in church because when they say "Bible" is sounds like "bwible."

Tomorrow I'm going to the zoo for Kristen's birthday (another house-mate) and on Friday I'm going to Kangaroo Valley on a volunteer weekend of tree planting and such. I'll try and do shorter, more frequent updates this week. Leave me a message saying "hi" and have a lovely and relaxing Sunday!
Love,
me

Comments:
hi,

duds
 
Michelle,

George W. Bush totally reads your journal and has the same website and journal as your brother. Crazy W. and his ways. They should diversify and say dub-ya for walt and just W. for the pres. because W. is only for the pres.

I hope to God you get the joke.

Dudley
 
Good on ya, Michelle! and G'day from nearby New Zealand! Mike Hon says we might have met at the Saucer sometime back, but I'mnot sure. What I do know is that your experiences with the culture are very much like mine over here. Lots of fun though. Don't let'em change you too much; it is pretty cool to know that there are some things that are worth sharing from the other side of the pacific. later days!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?