Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Weekend of Wallabies and Wombats

Hi, everyone!

I just got back from a weekend in Kangaroo Valley with CVA (Conservation Volunteers of Australia). There were 12 other people from the Village that went, plus two CVA workers, and we had such a great time! I'll write more about it when I have the time. Here are some quick (or not so quick) highlights...

Seeing a bunch of wallabies (mini kangaroos) in the mornings/evenings
Seeinga wombat (so cute!) walk across the road (May I please have a wombat and a kookaburra?)
Crazy games of Spoons, including much laughing, shrieking, and even some flying glass
Crossing rivers barefoot, swimming
Cooking meals with 14 other people in a huge kitchen
Great breakfasts- tons of fruit with natural yoghurt, honey, and coffee
Taking a nightime "wildlife walk" with 3 very nervous and skiddish girls
Talking to David and Sarah, classic Aussies, about places to go and things to do while we're here
Driving down switchbacks into the valley; the gorgeous scenery in general
Digging holes, chopping trees, using poison, saws, huge clippers, rakes, hoes - all on an island
Jumping in a massive pile of leaves
Riding in a 4 wheel drive jeep with the windows down and the music up
Going to the most amazing beach today, body surfing and loving it, perfect water and weather
Seeing a 60 year old man surfing
Seeing a 3 year old girl "surfing"on her boogy board, coached by her surfer dad
Excellent fish and chips in a small surfing town
Coming home with a few impressive bug bites and scrapes, but still no sunburn!

There is still so much to say and I can't wait to get some pictures online! Unfortunantly, 2 essays, a presentation, and lots of intern paperwork need to be done so I can get to bed and be able to wake up for work tomorrow.

Bailey- I went body surfing today and it was so fun!! I was only scared one time, but that's because I was in the wrong place and a giant wave broke on top of me. As long as I stayed close to Dave (our guide who is a surfer) then I was fine. It's not exactly the same as real surfing though so we'll see how that goes. =)

Christina and Thursday night group- Thanks for thinking of me! It's still too early to think about coming home but I KNOW I will be so glad to come back to our Bible study!

Gran-O and Granddaddy- Remember that crazy swithback drive we went took in Kauai to the little coffee factory? The one into Kangaroo Valley reminded me of that drive.

Happy spring break to all my college friends! I'm missing the rodeo, so please have lots of fun and take pictures in all your cowboy gear. Everyone here is shocked that I don't have a Texas accent... I'm glad to be a city girl =)

Lauren L- Let's go backpacking someday.
Lauren W- If you're thinking of studying here, look into the University of Sydney- I think you'd love it!
Bethany and John- so happy to hear from both of you. y'all must come here one day with your spouses (??!!) and see all the wildlife -including the island with penguins.

I wish I could just take one weekend at a time, but I've GOT to start planning for spring (autumn) break and other trips. My roommate, Teya, just came in and we were talking about how overwhelming it all is... work, school, reading and essays, researching trips, taking trips, hanging out, laundry and cooking... With a smile she said, "people should really feel so sorry for us because this is all so stressful." =)

OK I'm going to try and get some stuff done. Sorry there isn't more to this post- things are busy right now, but everything's due on Tuesday so I'll have more time after that. I think I'm going to stay in town this weekend and work out travel details, eat dinner at the Hanna's house, find Amy's coffee shop, figure out my cell phone plan and bus pass, and go on a tour of Hunter Valley.

Goodnight to me. Good morning to all of you.

"I want to open up my eyes and see a more beautiful world; Let the hand of God Almighty sweep His colors through my life. I want to hold tight to the laughter and ride it like a child on the winds that billow joyfully through the sky... Let me live to give you praise; let me praise you for the grace by which I'm saved. Lord, let me sing."
-Andrew Peterson

Comments:
michelle! i want to call you some time and talk for a minute or two! oh and thanks so much again for the diedrich's card that totally made my day. stthomas has an exchange program with australian catholic university. my scholarship would count if i went there.
 
Thanks for all the update. We enjoy keeping up with all the things you are doing. I feel sorry for all of you, seems like you are really having a rough time. Keep the news coming.We are getting excited about next Friday being my last day at CVS. Ola has already got me a long TO DO list. I am thinking about Re-enlisting. Ha Ha. Gran_Ola and Grandaddy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?