Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Women in My Life

I wrote this entry during a boring lecture. I decided that would be OK, since the lecture was, in fact, on non-fiction writing. (Which is exactly what this is.)

(You don't need to read all of this, but make sure you scroll down to the "Favorite Teya moment" story- it was one of the funniest things in my week.)

Meet Catie
To me, Catie plays the "mother role" in the house. A movie buff and spontaneous shopper from Denver, you're likely to find Catie watching a movie, dying her hair again, or in Manly with her boyfriend, Andrew. Catie is a psychology major and wants to do counseling. If I'm in my room, other flatmates will talk to me from the hallway, but Catie will come in and plop herself on my bed for some girl talk. She can (and will) talk to anyone, and they too will be "honey" or "sweetie" after one meeting. Catie stands on a chair to see the top cupboard in the kitchen (which really isn't that high).

Favorite Catie quote: "I really need to go to the bathroom but I don't want to mess up my nails!"

Meet Kristen
Kristen is quiet but friendly and seems so innocent. But, truth be told, she's the one who always leaves dirty dishes in the sink. This is ironic because she is the flatmate who never cooks. She's a sophmore film major from California, which is equally shocking because she doesn't have the edge or wild streak of most film makers. Kristen joined the bushwalking club. Bushwalking is supposedly different from hiking because you have no trail- I can easily associate Kristen with this idea because she's a little messy, very laidback, and doesn't like to make or commit to plans. She basically lives on cereal, salad, and frozen spring rolls.

Favorite Kristen moment: (Standing in the kitchen holding a box of spaghetti) "So...umm... how exactly do I do this?"

Whenever I come home from work through the back door, Catie and Kristen are always curled up on the couch- Catie flipping TV channels and Kristen eating cereal. This is how it goes, every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday around 6 pm:
Catie: "Hi, sweetie"
Kristen: "How was your day at work?"
Then I feel like we're all married in some weird way. =)

Meet Teya
An accupuncture major (yes, you can get a degree in that) from Maryland, Teya was actually born in the Republic of Georgia and speaks Russian to her family. A staunch vegetarian, Teya keeps little tomatoes in her cupboard and eats them throughout the day like candy. She has one of the scariest, most intense laughs I've ever heard- it's quite unnerving. She's sensitive to people's words, but also towards other people- she can tell when I'm a little stressed just by walking past my room. Teya makes me smile because I'll say something that everyone else gets, but she'll just stare at me like I'm stupid. I'll have to say it two more times till I get the wording to make sense to her. Like Catie, Teya uses a chair for the top cupboards.

Favorite Teya moment: I'm sitting in the living room on the couch when I hear little yelps coming from the kitchen and then "Michelle! Help me!" Before I turn the corner into the kitchen, I can see a little orange glow. There are bright orange flames coming out of the toaster. I start jumping up and down, joining in Teya's yelping. The flames are getting bigger and all the dishclothes are in the wash. Teya grabs a tiny little mug and fills it with water. I yell "No, Teya don't!" because the toaster is still plugged in. For some reason, I start thinking the toaster is going to explode and reach for the front door. I start going out but see Teya just staring at me with the little mug in her hand and I can't leave her there with the flames. I close the door and we both jump up and down some more, running tiny little circles around the kitchen trying to think of what to do. Bright orange flames are still soaring out of the toaster. Then I see the fire blanket on the wall.
Me: "Oooo, the fire blanket!"
Teya: "We have a fire blanket! We have a fire blanket!"
I start trying to pull it out of the package.
Teya: "Pull! Pull! Pull harder!"
We throw the blanket on the toaster and collapse on the extremely dirty kitchen floor in giggles. A few minutes later we're back on the couch and Teya looks over at me and says in a completely serious voice, "you know, one time I burned my whole room down."




(Teya and me, post-fire incident. Notice the charred toast in her hand, and the white fire blanket behind us on the counter.)










These are my 3 flatmates. (Abi lives in the downstairs room but we never really see her.) I'll have to talk about all my other girl friends who don't live in Unit 20 another time. Just thought that if I actually "published" my non-fiction writing , it might justify the fact that I wrote most of this during a lecture.

Cheers!

Comments:
It sounds like you are having too much fun over there, Michelle! Where's the "studying" part of studying abroad? - Casey, Christina, Mr. & Mrs. Stubbs and Jeremy (who is not here because he is late again...)
 
that was the most entertaining thing i've read in a long time. i can just see you doing that thing you do with your hands when you're stressed and jumping up and down. (insert smooth transition) what's the name of that place where we get our eyebrows done? i lost the business card and can't remember the name of it for the life of me and really need an appointment there tomorrow. so i hope you check your blog soon. thanks!
 
The vast majority of the good writing I've done has been written while I was supposed to be doing something else. So don't worry.

:)
 
Hi, Michelle!

This is Lisa Springer. Your mom gave me your address but I have never blogged before! So I am thrilled to find you and read all of this interesting and fun information about your life there down under!

I will make sure Jennifer reads this. She will really enjoy it. She is home for the weekend.

We will be sure to keep up with your adventures!
Take care. Love, Lisa
 
Hey Michelle!

Take a pic of the $2 coin! Oh, does it have a nickname (e.g., the $1 and $2 coins in Canada are affectionately called the looney and two-ney 'cause of the birds engraved on them.)?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?