Sunday, July 02, 2006
Randomness
2 quick stories:
The night of the Australia/Italy world cup game, I had dinner in Manly with all my gals because it was Catie's last night in Oz. Then, with all the crazy Manly Socceroo fans, we took the ferry to the city to watch the game at the Quay. It was a crazy ferry ride and included lots of facepaint, green suits, flags, and blowhorns. They sang and chanted ALL the way to the city and stood outside on the front deck belting out the national anthem as we approached the dock. Although their repertoire was impressively extensive, my favorite song of the evening was "If you're Aussie and you know it, clap your hands." And it's funny that they say "Go the Socceroos!" Using the article makes sense because there's only one team, but it sounds so strange.
I love being from Texas because Texas has its own identity. Whenever I'm traveling with Teya and people ask where we're from, she says "Maryland" and they say "where's that?" or "oh, is that near Boston?" When I say "Texas" they say "Texaaaaas!" or "oooOOOOooo, a Texas girl!" I get a lot of Texas conversations started and one night Amy and I were talking to our Irish friend, Ciaran, about whether or not I drive trucks and shoot guns. Ciaran said he'd never held a gun and in PERFECT unison Amy and I turn to Ciaran and say, "you've never shot a gun???" He was surprised at our shock and Amy and I laughed because suddenly it felt like a very American thing to say.
Have I mentioned how popular beetroot is here?
I love going to The Rocks market on the weekends and sitting under the harbour bridge, eating fruit salad and natural yoghurt, and listening to live jazz. But I will miss going with my girl friends.
The night of the Australia/Italy world cup game, I had dinner in Manly with all my gals because it was Catie's last night in Oz. Then, with all the crazy Manly Socceroo fans, we took the ferry to the city to watch the game at the Quay. It was a crazy ferry ride and included lots of facepaint, green suits, flags, and blowhorns. They sang and chanted ALL the way to the city and stood outside on the front deck belting out the national anthem as we approached the dock. Although their repertoire was impressively extensive, my favorite song of the evening was "If you're Aussie and you know it, clap your hands." And it's funny that they say "Go the Socceroos!" Using the article makes sense because there's only one team, but it sounds so strange.
I love being from Texas because Texas has its own identity. Whenever I'm traveling with Teya and people ask where we're from, she says "Maryland" and they say "where's that?" or "oh, is that near Boston?" When I say "Texas" they say "Texaaaaas!" or "oooOOOOooo, a Texas girl!" I get a lot of Texas conversations started and one night Amy and I were talking to our Irish friend, Ciaran, about whether or not I drive trucks and shoot guns. Ciaran said he'd never held a gun and in PERFECT unison Amy and I turn to Ciaran and say, "you've never shot a gun???" He was surprised at our shock and Amy and I laughed because suddenly it felt like a very American thing to say.
Have I mentioned how popular beetroot is here?
I love going to The Rocks market on the weekends and sitting under the harbour bridge, eating fruit salad and natural yoghurt, and listening to live jazz. But I will miss going with my girl friends.
Comments:
<< Home
I caught a glimpse of Lauren at church this morning. She didn't look too sad. I am TOTALLY expecting you to be VERY sad when you leave this great adventure you've had. Dad is getting excited. His dive card came yesterday and i could tell he's proud of it already. What a lot awaits him!!!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home
