Friday, February 23, 2007
'Tis the season...
...but why should I need a season to focus on my sin and desperate need for grace?
Ever hear a song and feel like it was written about you? Yeah...
"I repent of my pursuit of america's dream
I repent of living like I deserve anything
of my house, my fence, my kids, my wife
in our suburb where we're safe and white
I am wrong and of these things I repent
I repent of parading my liberty
I repent of paying for what i get for free
and for the way I believe that I am living right
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide
I am wrong and of these things I repent
I repent judging by a law that even I can't keep
of wearing righteousness like a disguise
to see through the planks in my own eyes
I repent of trading truth for false unity
I repent of confusing peace and idolatry
by caring more of what they think than what I know of what we need
by domesticating you until you look just like me
I am wrong and of these things I repent."
-"I Repent," by Derek Webb
Ever hear a song and feel like it was written about you? Yeah...
"I repent of my pursuit of america's dream
I repent of living like I deserve anything
of my house, my fence, my kids, my wife
in our suburb where we're safe and white
I am wrong and of these things I repent
I repent of parading my liberty
I repent of paying for what i get for free
and for the way I believe that I am living right
by trading sins for others that are easier to hide
I am wrong and of these things I repent
I repent judging by a law that even I can't keep
of wearing righteousness like a disguise
to see through the planks in my own eyes
I repent of trading truth for false unity
I repent of confusing peace and idolatry
by caring more of what they think than what I know of what we need
by domesticating you until you look just like me
I am wrong and of these things I repent."
-"I Repent," by Derek Webb
Comments:
<< Home
I love this song in general, but when it comes down to repenting of what God has given, I'm not so sure (my house, my family, stuff). It seems to me that we ought not pursue those things (Matt 6.33) but the actual having is not wrong, especially if God has seen fit to bless us as He has in so many ways. But in general I think DW has a good point- that we should never put any of those things, nor the acquiring of other things, above our devotion to God and to be who He has created us to be.
yeah, i totally agree. I think I fear those particular blessings because I'm afraid they will make my world "smaller." Inevitably, having a family will draw your focus and time inward because your spouse and children are your responsibility (and ministry, too, I guess), but at the same time, there's so much MORE we're called to do outside of our immediate lives, and I fear losing sight of that (not that I haven't already). I don't know, just thinkin' it through...
That song always gets me. Regardless of what particular vanity I happen to be pursuing, it's usually something that's mentioned by name in that song.
I think that you make an interesting point about how some of the "blessings" that we seek can have the effect of limiting our flexibility when it comes to ministry. I'm prone to tunnel vision when it comes to pursuing those things (which, somehow, supposedly make me more stable), and I would do well to ponder the implications of that approach.
I think that you make an interesting point about how some of the "blessings" that we seek can have the effect of limiting our flexibility when it comes to ministry. I'm prone to tunnel vision when it comes to pursuing those things (which, somehow, supposedly make me more stable), and I would do well to ponder the implications of that approach.
Hey Michelle! I just remembered that you have this blog here, and now I promise to be a faithful reader. I was wondering if I could link to you on my new blog - http://www.kapachino.info ?
Hope you're doing great!
Post a Comment
Hope you're doing great!
<< Home

