Friday, May 23, 2008
Reasons to love this summer

1. Whistling to the oldies. Usually Lynne is getting back from a morning walk when I'm coming downstairs for work, but since it's been FIFTY DEGREES in the mornings, she works out on her equipment in the basement to tunes like "Dancing Queen" and "Like a Prayer" and occassionally you can hear her whistling along.
2. Intern-y duties. I'm so glad I got the internship I did because I have a much smaller number of these mundane jobs than the other poor interns (ie, I don't have to do any mass data entry or envelope stuffing). But I've learned to love some of the little jobs I do have. Taking photos of all 50 banners in the park (there's a corporate logo on each) was actually a lovely part of my day because it meant getting to walk around outside on a BEAUTIFUL day. And 10 minutes of stamping parking passes = 10 minutes of daydreaming.
3. Evenings. Usually coming home means the beginning of a long evening of homework. I logged 55 hours at work last week, but summer = beautifully lazy evenings.
4. Meetings. I can see why people hate meetings; but I like them. They break up the workday and pull you out of your world usually into a larger picture. And, I might just add, that at the last Ravinia development team meeting we were served fruit, cheesecake, chocolate fondue and mock champagne.
5. Tan/non-white. It might not exactly be tan, but it's not that sickly pale either. My job does let me be outside quite a bit *(which I love) and my skin just looks healthier.
6. Baths. Never time for this in grad school.
7. Christina, my boss. She's only 2 years older than I and we get along so well - lots of chatting and going to lunch and talking about churches and family and such. We have the same sense of humor and sarcasm in the office and we both show each other a lot of grace (well, she shows most of it). The poor thing hasn't been sleeping well. Probably because she's pretty sure her boyfriend is going to propose tomorrow night in some very public way at the park (before/during/after the James Taylor concert). She's been such a loveable wreck all week that I'm going to force him to give her that ring sometime this weekend if he doesn't do it tomorrow.
8. Airborne. Finally I'm a believer. I seriously think that stuff made me get over a very serious cold in under 48 hours. Also, I drank about 10 gallons of water and got a ridiculous amount of sleep every night. Mom, I know you're proud.
9. The Houston Chronicle. This lovely newspaper is paying my boyfriend to come visit me in Chicago. Granted, he has to write an article worthy of being printed in the travel section of the paper's print edition, but still. Free airfare, free tickets to Lyle Lovett at Ravinia, and a whole long weekend together in Chicago.
10. Music. I'm so excited that tomorrow is the first of many concerts. And I hope I'm not too worn out to stay and listen...
Forgive me if this is poorly written. More newsy items later.
Love to you all.
mich
2. Intern-y duties. I'm so glad I got the internship I did because I have a much smaller number of these mundane jobs than the other poor interns (ie, I don't have to do any mass data entry or envelope stuffing). But I've learned to love some of the little jobs I do have. Taking photos of all 50 banners in the park (there's a corporate logo on each) was actually a lovely part of my day because it meant getting to walk around outside on a BEAUTIFUL day. And 10 minutes of stamping parking passes = 10 minutes of daydreaming.
3. Evenings. Usually coming home means the beginning of a long evening of homework. I logged 55 hours at work last week, but summer = beautifully lazy evenings.
4. Meetings. I can see why people hate meetings; but I like them. They break up the workday and pull you out of your world usually into a larger picture. And, I might just add, that at the last Ravinia development team meeting we were served fruit, cheesecake, chocolate fondue and mock champagne.
5. Tan/non-white. It might not exactly be tan, but it's not that sickly pale either. My job does let me be outside quite a bit *(which I love) and my skin just looks healthier.
6. Baths. Never time for this in grad school.
7. Christina, my boss. She's only 2 years older than I and we get along so well - lots of chatting and going to lunch and talking about churches and family and such. We have the same sense of humor and sarcasm in the office and we both show each other a lot of grace (well, she shows most of it). The poor thing hasn't been sleeping well. Probably because she's pretty sure her boyfriend is going to propose tomorrow night in some very public way at the park (before/during/after the James Taylor concert). She's been such a loveable wreck all week that I'm going to force him to give her that ring sometime this weekend if he doesn't do it tomorrow.
8. Airborne. Finally I'm a believer. I seriously think that stuff made me get over a very serious cold in under 48 hours. Also, I drank about 10 gallons of water and got a ridiculous amount of sleep every night. Mom, I know you're proud.
9. The Houston Chronicle. This lovely newspaper is paying my boyfriend to come visit me in Chicago. Granted, he has to write an article worthy of being printed in the travel section of the paper's print edition, but still. Free airfare, free tickets to Lyle Lovett at Ravinia, and a whole long weekend together in Chicago.
10. Music. I'm so excited that tomorrow is the first of many concerts. And I hope I'm not too worn out to stay and listen...
Forgive me if this is poorly written. More newsy items later.
Love to you all.
mich
